07 February 2010

Really? Seriously?

I am connected to the internet ON AN AIRPLANE.  I had no idea this was possible.  After rejoicing (inwardly, lest my seatmates think I'm ridiculous), I began to then get resentful about all the other places one can't get wireless internet service.  I mean, if you can get it in the air itself, why not at every airport (and I'm talking specifically about you, George Bush Intercontinental)?  And every school?  And every home?  

I've read a bit about how far behind other industrialized countries, like South Korea, for example, the US is in terms of being more fully wired, and it's beginning to matter more and more to me.  Obviously, my primary or immediate concerns are selfish ones - I want to be able to connect whenever and wherever I need or want to.  That said, I'm also interested in the principle.  If Web 2.0 is all about deconstructing hierarchies and democratizing the internet, then it needs to be available to all.  I learned about a project in Chicago that was seeking to use grant money to wire neighborhoods in socio-economically disadvantaged communities and distributing computers to residents who completed a certain number of training hours.  It struck me that this was a beautiful idea, and an important one.  When we look at all the different ways that technology is revolutionizing the ways that we work, communicate, network, socialize, organize and distribute information, I think we lose sight of all those who are at risk of being left behind.

But I digress... I'm going to tackle some Things.

2 comments:

  1. I had not considered the tech revolution from the prespective of those left behind. I have only been concerned with the fact that I often feel overwhelmed by the new stuff I have to learn and then finding a way to apply it in class. "Deconstructing the hierarchies and democratizing the internet" could make a tremendous difference in the lives of people all over the world but I also fear the power of tech tools and their use by unscruplous characters wishing to sieze power and/or wealth from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know there is the "One Laptop per Child" project. The opening line of the program's mission statement is "To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by ensuring each child has a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning."

    ReplyDelete